Monday, February 20, 2006

Look what I found...

While organizing several hundred print photographs I stumbled upon this image. It is 20 years old and was from the Ramstein Air Show Disaster in Germany. I thought I had given all of my images from this event to the authorities but somehow this one made its way home. It is titled "Am I My Brother's Keeper" and after all of these years it still brings back memories as if it were yesterday.

I won't go into detail as there's so much here, but while I was taking this shot my roommate grabbed me and my other roommate and we started to run as fast as we could. I could feel the heat behind me as the flames from the burning jet fuel began to engulf the area where we were standing. As we could feel the heat on our backs getting closer to us we suddenly dove behind a garbage dumpster and hugged the ground. We didn't know if the burning fuel would come over the dumpster, but it was all that was there to cover us.

When we heard the fuel splatter on the dumpster, we got up and witnessed what can only be described as a war zone. Not to be morbid, but understand that there were people sitting under those canopies that are engulfed in the flames in this image.

On that day, my roommate was his brother's keeper - he saved our lives.



1 Comments:

Blogger SamTheMan said...

Thanks for stopping by javaof2006, and yes - I'm blessed!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home