Saturday, July 07, 2007

Why do we edit?



Recently, someone asked me "why do you spend so much time editing?" Until that moment I hadn't given it much thought. I know you have to edit digital images as the photographer is now the darkroom.

However, the real reason I spend so much time editing is because I believe that once you've become proficient at it, you can not only "tell the story" with more drama and impact, but you can transform a picture and into a work of fine art.

When I photograph a wedding I love taking time to transform the good photos into pieces of art. I have learned to take my time and (if you're not an artist this is going to sound a little strange) become "one" with the moment and the image.

My clients and their weddings are important to me, and that is why I spend so much time editing. It is important to me that my images "touch" their hearts the moment they see them. And, the only way to do that is to take some time and pour yourself into the moment.

Does it cost more to hire a photographer with these skills? Yes. But, since a wedding is such a special event, doesn't it deserve a little something extra that will ultimately bring a lifetime of joy? Be blessed and keep shooting!

2 Comments:

Blogger -Matt said...

Great thoughts & post Sam - I'm going to do the same type thing cuz I like it so much. :)

I like editing because when you're proficient, the image is 100 times better than ANYTHING you can get out of camera.

12:42 PM  
Blogger SamTheMan said...

Thanks Matt, it is always great to hear from you my friend. And, I learned to appreciate post production from Scott Robert. Chat with you soon!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home