Monday, February 26, 2007

Promise vs. Coincidence

One of the most profound truths in the life of a believer is the realization that there is no such thing as a coincidence. The first time I was introduced to this spiritual truth was during a Sunday morning service when our Pastor said, “…in the Kingdom of God there is no such thing as a coincidence.” I had heard that expressed before but for some reason that day it took root and became alive inside of me.

Now, here’s why this truth is so powerful and motivating in your life – take a few moments and think about the times when you accidentally “ran” into some famous celebrity, athlete, CEO or politician. At some point in our lives we’ve all “run” into someone we admire, respect or aspire to be. Do you really believe it was an accident? I don’t. I believe it was a divine appointment arranged by God to help us believe in His promise to fulfill our heart’s desires. God’s no respecter of person; what He did for one person He’ll gladly do for another.

I know this may sound a little “deep” but when you understand that there’s no such thing as a coincidence, you will realize that those so-called “chance” encounters were actually orchestrated to build your faith and encourage you to never give up on your dreams. Haven’t you noticed that every time this happens that it is always related to something you love or are passionate about?

OK, so some of you may think I’m a little crazy. But, here’s what I believe – I believe that there is greatness in you. I believe that you are gifted and talented beyond your own imagination. And, I believe we serve a God that loves us so much that He will even go as far as to make sure we “bump” into someone or something that is directly related to our heart’s deepest desires. Why? Because He promised to fulfill those desires. And, because He loves us that much.

My challenge to you is to look back over your life and begin to associate every “chance” encounter with a true desire of your heart. Then, begin to remember what that encounter felt like. Why? Because you have to “see” it before you can achieve it. And, once you come to know that there is no such thing as coincidence, you will begin to view yourself and your dreams in a new and positive way. Your deepest desires will move from the realm of being “out there somewhere” and into the realm of being something real inside of your that must come out. Remember, there is no such thing as coincidence.


(That bright-eyed kid in the middle is me on a High School trip to Washington, DC. I was a photographer for our schools newspaper as well as a student leader and participated in a wonderful program called "Washington Workshop." The man I'm standing next to was the Norwegian Ambassador to the United States. I was heavily involved in politics and had aspirations of becoming my state's first African-American Senator and ultimately working at the U.N. I don't believe it is a coincidence that during a time in my life when working for the U.N. as an Ambassador was a deep desire of mine that I actually met and spoke with a real-life Ambassador.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home