Monday, January 16, 2006

Evaluating the Digital Divide in Photography

I've recently returned to photography in a serious way after a 15 year layoff (snap shooting only). And, the more I learn the more complex things seem to become. My first 35mm camera was the Olympus OM-10. And, after several moves I haven't located it and had to purchase a new SLR or I would have continued using my trusty OM-10. I feel like an old man even though I'm young as "back in the day" when I was a serious photographer my camera was small, compact, easy to use, and best of all got out of the way!

I'm not complaining as I am blessed to be shooting with a Nikon N75 and F100 (F100 arrives today!) but sometimes I wish I had my OM-10 as the images captured with it and it's Zuiko lens were simply brilliant. Its "set-it and forget-it" philosophy, combined with over a decade of snap shooting, has helped to form my current shooting style. I don't want to constantly fiddle with white balance, and I don't want to constantly have to adjust modes, I just want to capture the moment. And, isn't that what photography is all about?

I know there are technically-focused artist out there, but I am more of a minimalist. I just recently acquired an Olympus XA rangefinder to replace my Samsung 35mm point and shoot. And, with God's blessings I will soon receive a Leica M6 with several Summicron lenses.

But, I've also come to the realization that "digital" is the way to go for business. And, that I will also need a digital autofocus point and shoot for experimentation (experimenting with film is getting expensive) and traveling when I need someone to take my picture.

So, these are my photographic reflections this holiday morning as I am leaving due to the noise of the carpet installation upstairs - the time has come for a house but that's another blog.

Be blessed and let's chat soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home